For about a hundred years now, I have been 'Going on the Hill'. I have 'Gone on the Hill' on my family farm with my grandparents, my parents, my siblings, my kids, my grandkids as well as a parade of extended family and friends throughout the years. We have extended the coming together for weddings and wedding receptions and even funerals by 'Going on the Hill' for a picnic.
'The Hill' overlooks the Yellowstone River valley.
I guess going on 'The Hill' became official when we permanently laid an old steel tractor wheel for our fire ring and things grew from there. The tables wear out and get rebuilt. The chairs (tree stumps) rot and get burned and more are made.
We eat and eat and eat.
We play cards.
We play games.
We drink.
We cook "The Hill" hamburgers and have even known to have flameless martini picnics when the season was dry and we didn't want to chance a forest fire.
The rest room is somewhere beyond the bushes. The horseshoe pit always gets used. Nowadays, we have to have all 4-wheelers on deck for the young people to ride up to 'The Hill'. The rest of us pile in the back of a pickup with the groceries, old sleeping bags softening the trip, beers in hand. Great views and great memories and great conversations occur just coming and going from 'The Hill'.
Sometimes, we can see the local volunteer fire department wandering our direction because in the dark summer evenings someone has seen, from afar, a flame on 'The Hill' and reported us. Most often, we are home before that, dowsing our fire meticulously.
We've encountered a bear, lots of deer and a variety of other wildlife on 'The Hill', including ourselves. We even shared our Hill picnic area with a teepee that my cousin set up there and left for a long time.
Hill hamburgers, Grandma's potato salad and potluck after that. And s'mores. Always s'mores. I don't like them (not a chocolate person) but I love the marshmallows roasted just right. But.....
just last week when we went on "The Hill" (this trip triggered by west coast nieces/nephews home for my brother's birthday), our s'mores rose to a whole new level. Take a look.
The view from "The Hill" looks out over the chickenfarm where I grew up, and beyond that is my husband and my fields. Beyond the horizon is land we used to own with my brother-in-law.
The S'more cooking crew
Our fire pit captured
by an old tractor wheel.
We even have a hook
on which to hang a
bean pot or coffee pot,
concrete rebar holds
the cooking racks
over the fire.
It all happened by accident.
My nephew saw the strawberries
sitting there as he was
about to eat his S'more.
The experimenting continued.
Next were gluten-free S'mores
(no graham crackers);
the strawberries and chocolate
stuffed inside the roasted marshmallow.
One of the gluten-frees and
her masterpiece.
So, what do you think? Shall we patent?
See other Sweet Stories at






I enjoyed visiting the Hill with you today, what a grand way to get together with family and friends.
ReplyDeleteI've never eaten a s'more, with or without a strawberry. Maybe one day.
~Maggie~
The Hill looks like a great place to be. I would love the s'mores with strawberries.
ReplyDeleteYour life and the place you live sounds wonderful, interesting, and quite amazing. Oh yes, patent that strawberries s'mores!
ReplyDeletesounds like a wonderfully uncomplicated place to be :D
ReplyDeleteWow, that's some fire you had going there. I haven't had smores since the girl scouts LOL. I love the looks of the strawberry one. I bet you could make a fortune on it LOL.
ReplyDeleteOh yeah, patent that puppy before someone else thinks to do it.
ReplyDeleteThe view from the Hill is magnificent. Whoever took that photo framed it perfectly.
I'm jealous. I want a HILL near me. I also want a gluten free one, but no strawberries, allergy to them also. Maybe grilled mango or peaches would be good. I will have to try on our 4th of July picnic. Have a great weekend. Have a drink for me on the HILL
ReplyDeleteDee! Yum! OK. We are going there when Chuck and I come to visit. I'm not big on the graham cracker part but I can roast up a mean marshmallow girl!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun post!
I miss you!
Oh, yea.
And...
A+
Those look good, but I will have to try a few dozen before I can tell you for sure.
ReplyDeleteLooks great....I will try it first then let you know about the patent. Thanks for stopping over...you had a wonderful S post.
ReplyDeleteNow that's an idea to save - very elegant s'mores!
ReplyDeleteYum. YUM. Now I'm starving. I love the view from the Hill. What a fun tradition!
ReplyDeleteThank you for visiting me. :)
strawberry & chocolate? great combination!
ReplyDeletethanks for your visit
oh your life sounds wonderful and fun! and your new smores ... yummy!!!
ReplyDeleteRoasted marshmallow stuffed with strawberries looks yummy!!! Yes, Smokey Bear.... I think the song called him Smokey The Bear. :-)
ReplyDeleteThey look delicious!! Thanks for stopping by.
ReplyDeleteGood Morning Nadeen,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for stopping by the farmhouse for a visit! I am meeting so many interesting people thru Jenny's Alphabe-Thurs meme! I have been so busy at "LIFE" lately that I barely have time to write much about anything else, so the alphabet has been fun!
I have been reading thru your blogs! WOW, what a view to wake up in and experience every day. I would feel alien there but sure would love to try it just once!!
Looks like your family and friends have found the "Secret" to having a REAL life--it's all about being yourself! Thank you for sharing. Hope you are having a great Memorial Day weekend.
No rum and coke here. I just drink water. I try to sit straight and tall. Thanks for stopping by.
ReplyDeleteCan I join your family? "The Hill", with it's fire pit and view, looks amazing! What wonderful memories you are creating.
ReplyDeleteI don't do s'mores either - but I would eat a gf strawberry chocolate mallow any.day!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI am envious of your hill! And the food. And the beer. What a great place!
I am 41,
ReplyDeleteyou are thirty nine,
number are so much fun,
both are divine!
cool t post.