Thursday, April 22, 2010

What Name?

It’s been a bit “N”utty around here lately. I’m meeting myself coming and going. So I come to you with a quick and easy topic this week……ME! Nadeen. Which can be confusing sometimes. Why?


I’m also known as:

dEE
Deenie (dEEniE)
Gwamma Montana

When I was born a hundred years ago, by his own admission, my dad couldn’t spell. So when this little girl came out of the deep dark recesses of my mother’s womb, my mom had her reasons for naming me what she did. My dad asked, “Do you spell that Nadeen?” Which most people don’t. But my mom said, “That sounds fine.” Thus I’ve had to spell my first name AND my last name all my life because everyone wants to spell both of them according to norm, which they aren’t.

She wanted to name me Nadeen so my nickname could be Deenie. So it was until I got into first grade and decided that I was too old to be called a childish name like Deenie and I announced to everyone that I was now Nadeen. So it was for 24 years.

Along came a nephew and he couldn’t say Nadeen. Without prior knowledge of my past (sheez, he was only a year old), he started calling me Deenie. By then I was fine with the Deenie label because I wanted to be that young little girl again. And so I went by 2 names. One everyone else used and one that family (and my parent’s friends who I grew up around) used.

Fast forward 18 years. I taught a Bible study to my niece and classmates of my son. Of course, the niece always called me Dennie and the others picked up on it, but I wanted it now to be unique, so I capitalized the EEEEEEEE’s! Sort of 3 names now.

About that time, I hooked up with some gals via the internet but I was well aware of those nuts lurking out there that might want to steal my birthday or something, so when I hooked up with these gals who possibly could be escaped convicts, I didn’t totally tell the truth when I signed up with them as dEE (short for dEEniE, short for Deenie, short for Nadeen)  Well, that’s the only name by which they know me. When I met up with a bunch of them for the first time last month, it was only natural that I be ‘dEE’ to them. They don’t know Nadeen. Now….4 names.

Of course, both Gwammas to my grandgirls had to have last names with the same starting letter. Can’t use that. And since their Mama always said, “Gwamma in Montana”, it got shortened to “Gwamma Montana”. Probably my favorite title of all! Are you counting? 5 names.

Now enters the confusion: who am I? I have to actually stop and think what environment I am in before I introduce myself to someone. Life is so confusing, isn’t it?

So now you know.

And Happy Thursday to you!
Nadeen

Or is it dEEniE?

Or dEE?

Nah. Just call me a Biker Princess.


Don't forget to check out the other great Alphabetizers at
Jenny Matlock

14 comments:

  1. WOW, you have a lot of names! Nadeen is just fine with me.
    Regarding the nesting shower...use what I blogged about and try to find napkins with birds or birdhouses on them like I did. I found them at a yard sale! I also had bird figurines out and I made deviled eggs (birds sit on eggs and are hatched from eggs). I dipped the white halves in beet juice so they would be pink for the shower. I scooped the yolk back into the deviled eggs and there was absolutely no taste of the beet juice. If I can think of anything else, I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet you'll collect a few more names before you finish - I like the idea of having more than one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do have a lot of names, and they all sound good and given in love, and fun ... they sound fun ... especially the Biker Princess ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm jealous! I've just always had one name!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a lot of names LOL. I've always pretty much gone by my nickname most of my life. It wasn't until recently with mom being at the nursing home that they know me by my given name. It's so weird though ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ya know what? I never heard this story told before...although I did know your name was Nadeen. Sounds to me...different names for different phases of your life...and you need them all to be complete!I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not have a lot of nicknames, in fact, I have none...but I did have to spell both names my whole life, and even after I got married. Oh well. I love your story!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a lot of names, too. Like you, I have the nicknames that family use, and the names other people use. It gets confusing when family visits from out of town and get together with people from my church or something, and nobody knows who anybody is talking about!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice Nicknames Nadeen!

    Best wishes for a great weekend,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like Nadeen! The thing with nicknames is that they can multiply :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, Miss ???.

    Whoever you are, you are one of the loveliest, kindest, cleverest and niftiest people I've ever known.

    And I'll call you anything you like as long as you let me call you friend!

    And on that note...thanks for the slightly confusing but very entertaining stop on my little journey through Alphabe-Thursday's Letter "N"!

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...you've got me confused. I have trouble remembering people's names and with you I'd never stand a chance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a couple of names as well, it's as if during different times of your life you have a different name. My favorite is Kaki- what my grand daughter calls me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I go by Christy - there are some little kids who call me regnut christy (too long of a story for a comment) and I love being a grandma but don't have my grandma name yet as my first grandbaby doesn't call me anything yet. I love your different names! Especially Grandma Montana!

    ReplyDelete

Reflect as you wish. Relate as you like. I relish it.