As a KID, one of the easiest and yet hardest toys to play with was a KALEIDOSCOPE. I had trouble keeping one eye shut to see the puzzling array of rainbow colors inside that circular mystery. But it provided some of the most beautiful mix of colors and shapes so I stayed with it until I could do that steady wink. It reminds me now of the sunrises and sunsets we experience on a regular basis. It can changes in a flash (or twist of the scope). I loved it.
Fast forward 50 years finds this gwamma shopping for her grandkids. Imagine that! My KIDS have decided to haul off my grandKIDS to KANSAS City, (a whole ‘nuther day’s drive from the Gwamma but that’s another story for another day). It is a 10 hour drive to move to their new home and Gwamma sets out on a journey to make the long stretch of KANSAS tolerable for a 3 and 5 year old.
Into an Express Mail box (they left sooner than I thought) went not only the KALEIDOSCOPE but also baby dolls, DVD, stickers, cards, no candy (surprise! – still wanted to be friends with my KIDS afterwards) and the like. I put the items inside brown paper bags and on each bag I put a picture of some sort of road sign, like ‘Leaving Colorado’, ‘Welcome to KANSAS’, ‘I-70’, ‘Topeka’, ‘KANSAS City, turn here’, ‘rest stop’, etc. When they saw the sign outside on the road that matched a sign on a bag, they got to open that bag.
So I say ‘KUDOS’ for 'KALEIDOSCOPES’ – they help make gwammaing fun and resurrect good memories.
….speaking of resurrecting, can’t forget that this Holy Week is our time of celebrating our risen Lord, Jesus.
DeColores, ya’ll.
To see more fascinating 'k' stories, click
. A KUDOS to all you authors. (Can't wait to read 'em myself but I made myself write mine first!)




I love kaleidescopes. Have you ever seen one of the big ones that focuses on a pot of flowers and turns the flowers int the kaleidescope colours? Pretty cool ;-)
ReplyDeleteVery cool post and you are such a super cool grandma! I am glad I joined you! A Colorado Hug from me to you! Anne
ReplyDeletevery Kute post. Love Kaleidoscopes too!
ReplyDeleteI think kaleidoscopes are really magical -- I loved them as a kid,and I love them now! I'm sorry those kids took your grandbabies so far away.
ReplyDeleteGreat K post :) . I love kaleidoscopes!
ReplyDeleteI still love peeking into Kaleidoscopes! And tell your kids welcome to Kansas!
ReplyDeleteI haven't seen a kaleidoscopes in a long time. Such fun as a kid.
ReplyDeleteKaleidoscopes are so much fun! I made a stained glass one for my husband a few years ago and I still like to peek at it every now and then.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful gwamma you are. I would love to have gotten a bag like that when I was young.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun lady you are and such a great Grandma!
ReplyDeleteAll the lovely memories you are making makes my heart just smile!
I think sometimes people don't take time to do simple, loving gestures anymore...and then I read your post and it makes me happy!
Thanks for giving me such a nice warm hug with your post on this little journey through Alphabe-Thursday's letter "K"!
A+
You definitely have K covered. And what an awesome Grandma to create those fun trip bag surprises. Sorry they're that far away. Btw I love kaleidoscopes.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun K post, i just love kaleidoscopes!
ReplyDeleteHi, my kaleidoscopes were made with Corel Paint Shop Pro. Nice to know I am not the only one ha ha
ReplyDeleteLove Jx
What a fun post. I love your trip bag idea, especially the no candy part :) And I love kaleidoscopes. We have a wonderful little gift shop/gallery here that has some beautiful handcrafted wooden ones. They are amazing works of art. Kathy
ReplyDeleteI think kaleidoscopes is so fascinating, but I always have tears trying to look through it too.
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful and blessed Easter.
Nadeen, thanks for the follow -- I take it you love your kitchen? :)
ReplyDeleteFreat K word..I bought some at Christmas at Pier 1 for the gkids...I liked them better than they did..no bells and whistles..
ReplyDeletesounds like hours of visual fun! I'm still amaze by the whole idea
ReplyDeletethanks for your visit to my alphabe-thursday
I can remember being fascinated with them as a kid. I like your travel bags. Great idea. Catching up on K words today.
ReplyDeleteI love kaleidoscopes! And what a wonderful and fun road trip idea for your grandkids to play! Our daughter and son-in-law will be living in Kansas City, MO for 3 of his 4 years of dermatology residency...And that is moving further away where they are now in Kentucky and from my hubby and I in Georgia! Ah!!! Can't wait to have grandbabies!
ReplyDeleteBlessings & Aloha!
I am still trying to get around to all the fun K posts...before it is already time for L posts! I'd love it if you get a chance to stop by my place ;o)